Soft, salty and chewy homemade pretzel bites. Perfect on their own or dipped into mustard or cheese!
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 3 3/4 – 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour (plus more for counter dusting)
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse, flaky sea salt
- garlic powder (optional)
- In a large bowl, add the yeast and the warm water and whisk gently. Let it sit for one minute.
- Add in the salt, brown sugar and melted butter. Whisk until combined
- Slowly add in the flour, 1 cup at a time. You can either mix by hand with a wooden spoon/spatula or use the dough hook on a stand mixer.
- Mix until the dough is thick and sticky. Add 1/2 cup – 3/4 cup more flour until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Test: poke the dough with your finger. If it bounces back, it is ready to go.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 3 minutes and then shape it into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough into an oiled bowl.
- Cover and let sit in a warm place for about 10 minutes
- While the dough sits, preheat oven to 425
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Cut the ball of dough into 6 smaller sections, then work each section into a long rope shape (should be around 20 inches long)
- Cut the rope into 1 inch pieces to make bites.
- In a large pot of water, add 8-10 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, slowly add in the baking soda
- Drop 8-10 pretzel bites into the boiling water and remove after 10 seconds with a slotted spoon
- Place the boiled bites onto the baking sheet. They should be placed about 2 inches apart.
- Brush the bites with your beaten egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt and a little garlic powder (optional)
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top
Pretzel bites stay good in an airtight container for up to 3 days
You can place the dough in the freezer or fridge, just make sure that it gets to room temperature before you boil and bake them.
Keywords: pretzel, pretzel bites, mustard, honey mustard, dijon mustard, bread dough, yeast, instant yeast, pretzels