A lightened up, gluten-free chicken and dumplings recipe that’s as cozy as it is warming.
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 whole yellow onion
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp parsley and chives , finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Set your Instant Pot to the Sauté function.
- While the pot is heating, pat dry the chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in the pot and add chicken thighs a few at a time so they fit, cooking each side for about 3-4 minutes until they begin to brown and crisp.
- Repeat step 2 with the rest of the chicken thighs.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Without cleaning out the pot, add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for 2-3 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and a pinch of dried thyme to season.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the pot and scrape the bottom to get the browned bits from the chicken off.
- Let the vegetables simmer in the broth for a few minutes while you prepare the dumplings.
- To make the dumplings, combine flour and baking soda in a large bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add in the beaten eggs, parsley and 1 cup of chicken broth and mix well.
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth to the Instant pot, then add in the chicken thighs.
- Drop small spoonfuls of the the dumpling batter onto the top of the broth. The dumplings with double in size when you cook them so don’t make them too big.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook and set the timer for 3 minutes.
- Once the timer is up, let the instant pot gradually release the pressure for 15 minutes before turning the knob to venting.
- Once all of the pressure is out, carefully open the lid and take out the chicken thighs and dumplings. Put the chicken on a cutting board and the dumplings in a large bowl to set aside.
- Carefully remove the skin and shred the chicken with two forks.
- Turn the pot back on to Saute mode and bring it back to a simmer. Add in frozen peas and stir well, letting the soup simmer until the peas are thoroughly cooked.
- Add the shredded chicken and the dumplings back in.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parlsey and chives.