Have you ever craved something that you’ve never eaten before?
I can’t tell you why I was craving this meal, maybe because I saw it somewhere and subconsciously took a mental note that it looked really cozy and perfect for a snowy day.
Yesterday, when I saw that the forecast had almost 2 feet of snow on the way, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to try to make this recipe and play around with how to make gluten free dumplings.
This ended up being SO good and relatively easy. It took just over an hour using my Instant Pot and the result was creamy, comforting and oh so good.
I got most of the recipe inspiration from this recipe but used 1:1 gluten free flour and chicken broth instead of white flour and milk to make the dumplings.
This is definitely a recipe that I will keep on hand for cold, snowy winter days in the future. Hope you enjoy!Print
A lightened up, gluten-free chicken and dumplings recipe that’s as cozy as it is warming.
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 whole yellow onion
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp parsley and chives , finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Set your Instant Pot to the Sauté function.
- While the pot is heating, pat dry the chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in the pot and add chicken thighs a few at a time so they fit, cooking each side for about 3-4 minutes until they begin to brown and crisp.
- Repeat step 2 with the rest of the chicken thighs.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Without cleaning out the pot, add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for 2-3 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and a pinch of dried thyme to season.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the pot and scrape the bottom to get the browned bits from the chicken off.
- Let the vegetables simmer in the broth for a few minutes while you prepare the dumplings.
- To make the dumplings, combine flour and baking soda in a large bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add in the beaten eggs, parsley and 1 cup of chicken broth and mix well.
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth to the Instant pot, then add in the chicken thighs.
- Drop small spoonfuls of the the dumpling batter onto the top of the broth. The dumplings with double in size when you cook them so don’t make them too big.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook and set the timer for 3 minutes.
- Once the timer is up, let the instant pot gradually release the pressure for 15 minutes before turning the knob to venting.
- Once all of the pressure is out, carefully open the lid and take out the chicken thighs and dumplings. Put the chicken on a cutting board and the dumplings in a large bowl to set aside.
- Carefully remove the skin and shred the chicken with two forks.
- Turn the pot back on to Saute mode and bring it back to a simmer. Add in frozen peas and stir well, letting the soup simmer until the peas are thoroughly cooked.
- Add the shredded chicken and the dumplings back in.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parlsey and chives.