A healthier, lighter take on an Italian classic.
For the Italian Sourdough Breadcrumbs:
- 1/2 loaf Sourdough bread (older is better, new bread is not ideal)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup parmesan (optional)
For the Chicken:
- 4 skinless, boneless, thinly sliced chicken breasts (they should be about 1/4 inch thick)
- If you only have regular chicken breasts, you can use them but make sure you pound them to tenderize them and make them thinner!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
To Make the Breadcrumbs:
- Preheat the oven to 300 F
- Cut the bread into rough 1″ squares and blend them in a food processor until they are finely chopped. Pause and scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Add the spices and parmesan to the food processor and pulse until combined.
- Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and spread out evenly
- Bake for 5 minutes, stir, then bake for another 5 minutes. They should be dry and lightly browned
- Let the sheet completely cool for 15-20 minutes. (Even longer would be better to let them develop their crunch a little more, so you can definitely make these in advance)
To Make the Chicken Milanese:
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Beat 3 eggs in a shallow bowl with a splash of water and a sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts
- Dip the chicken into the eggs, and then dredge them in the breadcrumbs, making sure you cover them completely.
- Repeat steps with the remaining chicken breasts
- Heat a large pan over medium heat with the olive oil – (you need a lot of oil for this so that they get crispy)
- Fry each breast until golden brown on one side, then flip and cook until each side looks golden and cooked thoroughly
- (You can probably only fit 2 chicken breasts in your pan at a time which is why I recommend that you put your oven on 300 and keep the ones that you’ve fried in the oven while you complete the rest. This will keep them warm and also keep them crispy!!)
- Repeat steps until all of the chicken breasts are done.
- Serve with pasta, salad, or alone! I like to serve with marinara or basil pesto spooned on top.
To store extra breadcrumbs, keep them in an airtight container
To reheat chicken, your best option is to reheat it in the oven. If you microwave it, it will not be crispy and will taste soggy!
Keywords: chicken milanese, italian, sourdough, breadcrumbs, chicken, italian food, italian classics, milanese