I’m sorry in advance. You guys, this stuff is addicting. I need to immediately put it in jars and give it away because I have two freezer bags full of it in my fridge and justified it earlier as a “lunch dessert” and proceeded to snack on it like my life depended on it.
HOWEVER, I won’t really say sorry because if you know me at all, you’ll know that this recipe is HEALTHIFIED. Not “healthy” per se but definitely healthier than your classic puppy chow/muddy buddy situation.
This recipe is gluten free, almost dairy free (I added M&M’s, sue me) and refined sugar free (shocking). You can feel free to tailor this recipe to whatever flavors you want, I happened to crave a sweet/salty mix so I added gluten-free pretzel pieces, peanuts and M&M’s but you can add whatever your heart desires.
Did you grow up with this stuff during the holidays? I tried it for the first time a few years ago and was in awe.
A healthier version of a holiday favorite! I used dairy free butter, gluten free rice chex, a monkfruit based powdered sugar alternative and powdered peanut butter to make this a little less sweet and a whole lot tastier. The powdered peanut butter even adds a little protein!
- 11 cups Rice Chex (a whole box of cereal)
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used this brand)
- 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup melted dairy-free butter (I used this brand)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup monkfruit powdered sugar (I used this brand)
- 1/2 cup powdered peanut butter (I used this brand)
- Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, and dairy-free butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then stir to combine. Continue microwaving in 20 second increments until mixture is completely smooth. Add vanilla and salt and stir to combine.
- Pour cereal into a large bowl, then pour over chocolate mixture. Toss gently until all cereal is coated.
- Pour coated cereal into a large resealable plastic bag, then add powdered sugar and powdered peanut butter and shake to coat. Pour cereal onto a large baking sheet covered in parchment paper to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Include some toppings! I added in gluten free pretzels, dry roasted peanuts and M&M’s for a sweet/salty taste.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to serve. For added crunchiness, store in the fridge!