Healthy apple pie bars that are totally gluten and refined sugar-free! Mixed with bourbon, vanilla and spices, these are the perfect cozy fall dessert.
For the crust/crumble:
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Flour (or oat flour)
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the apple pie filling:
- 1/2 tbsp melted butter
- 4 1/2 cups apple slices (peeled and cut into thin slices)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the Maple Bourbon Drizzle:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp bourbon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Add in the melted butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Using a fork, mix together until the ingredients start to look crumbly but not too dry. They should be able to stick together.
- Place a little over half the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish and press down the dough until it is flat in the bottom of the dish.
- Place the remaining dough into the fridge.
- To make the apple filling, melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the sliced apples and make sure they are all coated in the butter. Next add in the maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until fragrant. Cook over low-medium heat for 5 minutes or until the apples start to get a little softer (but not too soft!)
- Stir in the vanilla extract, bourbon and cornstarch and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and pour the apple mixture over the crust and make sure it is evenly distributed.
- Take out the remaining crust/crumble mixture from the fridge and add in the chopped pecans. Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the top of the apple filling.
- Bake on a middle rack in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top turns slightly golden.
- Allow the dish to completely cook before slicing (this is IMPORTANT! I know its tempting)
- Drizzle the bars with maple bourbon glaze and then use a sharp knife to cut into squares. You can also serve this like a crisp and just spoon out portions!
I reccommend storing these in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze these but I don’t recommend freezing them for over 3 weeks for the best flavor!
Keywords: apple, apple pie, apple bie bars, bourbon, bourbon apple, bourbon apple pie, maple bourbon, maple apple pie, apple pie bars, healthy apple pie bars, gluten free, gluten free apple pie, gluten free apple pie bars, oatmeal apple pie, oatmeal apple pie bars, maple oatmeal, healthy dessert, gluten free dessert, gluten free fall dessert