Sweet Summer Corn Risotto, a love story.
But seriously, this dish uses 2 of my favorite foods (coconut and corn) to make the ultimate vegan comfort dish. And in the summer? Fresh, sweet corn really can’t be beat.
This dish is great on it’s own, topped with fresh seafood, or eaten as leftovers with a little dollop of salsa for a Mexican kick. It’s definitely one of my new favorites and I hope you love it just as much as I do.Print
- 6 ears corn, kernels removed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper,
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- zest from 1 lemon
- Basil and red peppers, for garnish
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the kernels off of the corn cobs.
- Add the corn cobs to a medium stock pot filled with 8 cups of water. Add bay leaves, garlic cloves and thyme, then bring to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes
- While the stock is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add corn kernels and sauté until tender and lightly golden, 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer half of the corn to a bowl to set aside and the other half to a blender with the coconut cream. Blend until smooth and then set aside.
- When 30 minutes is up on the stock, strain the solids out and return the corn stock to the pot.
- Bring the stock a light simmer when you begin to make the risotto.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add rice, tossing to coat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until completely absorbed.
- Once reduced, begin adding corn stock in 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently until it has all been absorbed.
- Continue adding stock 1 cup at a time, until the rice is tender about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved corn and corn puree and cook until warmed through, 2-3 minutes. Remove risotto from heat and adjust taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with sliced red peppers, lemon zest and basil
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan, corn, risotto, summer corn, summer, corn risotto, vegan risotto
ITEMS USED IN THIS RECIPE:0